Some are blessed with good skin, but some have to work hard to achieve it. The ones with good skin also have to work towards maintaining it. Women with every skin type crave for glowing and beautiful skin as it makes us look and feel good.
Image by Hian Oliveira via Unsplash
Many young ladies out there do not have the proper awareness of the products that should be used on their skin. There are four major types of skin and products used must be in accordance with that. Using the right products on your respective type of skin will make your skin glow.
How to determine your skin type?
Follow these steps to determine your skin type:
- After waking up in the morning without washing your face, place a tissue on your face and remove it after some time.
- If the tissue is the same as before i.e. without any oil absorption, your skin is perfectly normal.
- If the tissue becomes slightly greasy all over, then you have oily skin.
- In the case that there’s no oil, but your face feels tight and flaky, then you have dry skin.
- If the oil was present only in the T Zone i.e on your forehead, nose, and chin, and the other areas of your face are dry, then you have combination skin.
How to take care of different types of skin?
There are different methods and products to take care of skin types.
Let us decode them one by one.
1. Oily skin
Oily skin is caused due to the overproduction of sebum/oil. This sebum is produced by sebaceous glands on our skin. A good amount of this sebum is necessary to provide moisture to the skin. However, when this limit exceeds, your face looks shiny and greasy. While working on your skin, make sure you remove only excess oil.
Image by Chris Jarvis via Unsplash
Steps to follow if you have oily skin:
- The first step is cleansing. Choose a foaming cleanser because it will get rid of the oil on your face. Make sure you cleanse at least two times a day to avoid breakouts.
- Toning is not compulsory if you have oily skin. If you do use them, use toners that have strong astringent property.
- The next step is moisturizing but there is a myth that moisturizing your oily skin further makes it oily. You can use oil free and light moisturizers.
- Choose gel-based sunscreens, foundations, and Because you don’t want your skin to look more greasy.
2. Dry skin
Dry skin can sometimes be a curse because you cannot even wear makeup due to lack of necessary moisture in the skin but thankfully you can get rid of it by using natural oils and products.
Steps to follow if you have dry skin:
- Do not over cleanse. It makes your skin even drier. Try to follow the Korean Beauty Regime by using oil cleansing which is highly beneficial for dry skin. Using oils like Almond oil and Olive oil help in hydrating the skin.
- Toning is very important. Use toners that unclog pores and give a soothing effect.
- Your most wanted product must be moisturizers. You can even use heavy moisturizers as it gets easily absorbed into the skin.
- You can use a sunscreen that nourishes and moisturizes. It also should hydrate your skin.
3. Normal skin
You already have great skin, but never forget to maintain it. If not properly pampered, then it might turn either way – oily and dry. So make sure you start or continue a skincare regime.
Image by Noah Buscher via Unsplash
Steps to follow if you have normal skin:
- Use a double cleansing technique. Remove your makeup using oils like castor oil, almond oil, and Then cleanse it with mild cleansers.
- Use normal to dry skin toners. It is necessary to unclog pores and maintain your skin’s pH balance.
- Moisturize your skin with lotions and oils. It will keep your skin supple and young.
4. Combination Skin
You do not need to worry if you have an oily T zone. There are many masks exclusively available for greasy T zones. Apart from it, follow these steps to maintain the skin balance.
Image by Isabell Winter via Unsplash
Steps to follow if you have a combination type of skin:
- Cleanse your skin twice by oil cleansing and normal cleansing.
- Tone your skin with astringent toners and moisturize regularly.
- Use charcoal masks for your T zones as it reduces skin production.
- Prefer Multimasking It is the great masking technique exclusively done for Combination skin type. Use moisturizing masks at dry areas and dry masks like clay masks on oily areas.